Am trying to get my airtel mobile office work. After 3 days of continued efforts i still couldn’t figure out how to get this stuff to work.
This is what i believe is the flow
- You need a phone which supports GPRS.
- You need a sim which has the mobile office service enabled
- You need to SMS Airtel (forgot the number) and you will receive the settings via SMS which you need to save. the settings can be viewed from Services->Settings->Connection Settings->MobileOffice.
- If your phone supports IR or bluetooth you are saved. Otherwise you need to buy a data card DKU-2 or DKU-5 or CA-42 cable for your phone (genuine accessories – 1500 rupees. black market – 150 to 200 rupees. )
- Install the drivers for the USB cable.
- Install nokia pc suite
- Go to start->control panel->phone and modem settings and ADD a new modem
- Go to modems tab.
- Click add
- Let me choose from list
- Choose nokia and then choose the phone model or the nokia active phone cable
- Now open pc suite and click on phone selecter. You should be able to see your phone model in the screen. If it is not showing then the modem is not installed properly. If it is greyed out, then you are using a noncompatible pc suite. Download the compatible one from nokia site (google nokia pc suite)
Now, i tried all the above and i finally got my phone to talk to my laptop. I could download messages from my phone to my laptop. My nokia pc suite correctly displays my phone number on its bottom. The tray icon shows the pc suite icons in full color without greyed out (ufff i rarely get to see this!) which means pc suite could talk to my phone.
But when i tried to connect to the internet, it tries and then says “failed to connect. ”
I wish i could email an Airtel Staff about this…because i couldnt explain everything over phone. Moreover the staff have become very nervous and consious about the fact that the call is being recorded. Today someone spoke to me and she was very clearly talking to the recording sytem than me “sir you asked about this and i gave you answers for that etc” kind of answers are clearly depicting that.